On September 10, Dream Day was held in Saskatoon's newest neighbourhood, Brighton Community.
Brighton will be the first neighbourhood within the Holmwood Sector in Saskatoon.
"Brighton will be an attractive and walkable neighbourhood, with amenities, transit and recreational open space in close proximity to residents."
Today, I got to participate in three events for the ward!
- Officially submit my nomination papers as a candidate for Ward 8 City Councillor;
- Attend the East College Park Community Association AGM; and
- Attend the College Park Community Association AGM.
I am very excited to officially have my name forward to represent the residents of Ward 8. The ballot will read "Sarina Gersher, GIS Analyst." For those who are wondering, as a GIS Analyst I make maps (think cartographer). Don't worry if you haven't seen me on the doorstep yet, I look forward to meeting you in the upcoming weeks.
Tonight was a great opportunity to chat with folks in the community. Both community associations have many opportunities to get involved (see the links above). It was a great throwback Thursday to be at École College Park School this evening. I remember the hallways a lot bigger when I was a student there, especially during indoor track and field practices.
I was also fortunate to attend the Brevoort Park Community Association AGM and ice cream social on Tuesday, September 6.
I would like to thank Ward 8's community associations for all the work they are putting in, especially during this busy time of program registration.
The Briarwood Community Association hosted their annual BBQ at Briarwood Park. It was a lovely day getting to chat with folks while handing out some yummy hand-popped popcorn.
Here are some photo highlights. More photos available on Sarina Gersher's Facebook Page.
For those who are back from summer vacation...WELCOME BACK! For those who are still waiting for holidays, do not worry, there are many community events coming up to keep us entertained.
- August 28, 2016, 12:00pm - 3:00pm, Briarwood Annual BBQ. See here for more details.
- September 6, 2016 from 6:00pm - 8:00pm, Greystone Heights Community Association Fall Registration. See here for more details.
- September 6, 2016, 6:30pm, Brevoort Park Ice Cream Social AGM and Registration. See here for more details.
- September 8, 2016, 7:00pm - 9:00pm, College Park AGM and Registration for Fall Programs. See here for more details.
- September 9 - 20, 2016, East College Park Online Program Registration. See here for more details.
- September 10, 2016, 11:00am - 2:00pm, East College Park Fun Day in the Park at Roland Michener Park. See here for more details.
- October 2, 2016, 12:00pm - 3:30pm, Brevoort Park Community Association Fall Day in the Park. See here for more info.
- October 14, 2016, 6:45pm, Greystone Heights Community AGM & Bingo Night. See here for more details.
Don't forget you can stay up to date with your community associations on their website. Click below for more information:
Brevoort Park | Briarwood | College Park | East College Park | Greystone Heights
Note: Brighton and Holmwood news can be found at the City of Saskatoon's website.
What an incredible first thirty days of doorknocking!
Thirty days and 1,300 doors later I have had the opportunity to chat with folks in Briarwood, East College Park and Greystone Heights. Some of the hot topics we have been chatting about include aging infrastructure (e.g. roads and parks), accountability in spending, the Meewasin Valley Authority, safety and transit. I would like to thank those residents who've spent time expressing their concerns and ideas for Saskatoon so that together we can continue strengthening this city that we love.
By currently living in the ward and having been here for nearly three decades, I am able to accurately represent the residents of Brevoort Park, Briarwood, Brighton, College Park, East College Park, Greystone Heights and Holmwood. It has been humbling to meet families in the ward who have far surpassed my three decades. I met a few couples one evening in East College Park who have been in their home for 43 years!
If you have not seen me yet at the doorstep, you will soon. We are almost 8 weeks away from the municipal election on October 26 and I am eager to meet the remainder of our ward. In the meantime, if there is anything you would like to chat about, please feel free to reach out here.